Key concepts in special needs planning.
Self determination theory for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities is an outcome of the civil rights movement in the 1960’s. This video is important because Karrie Shogren, Phd presents the theory and implementation in very simple language. Studies show the theory in practice, leads to better outcomes including, independent living, work, community relatedness and financial betterment. After watching the short video, parents, siblings and people with disabilities will be able to explain the answers to the following questions:
- What is self determination?
- Why is self determination essential for planning for the future?
- Who benefits from self determination?
- Where can a person implement self determination?
- When should a person and the important people around them begin self determination?
Listen to Karrie Shogren, Phd talk about the who, what, where, when and why to self determination .